Above, Tom Nash (right) interviews Village Management Services CEO Jeff Parker in the Video Studio on February 25 for the March edition of his long-running “Laguna Woods Stories” program. Produced by Video One Productions, “Laguna Woods Stories” airs Wednesdays and Sundays at noon on Village Television. See sidebar at right for a list of other Video Club-related programs and their air times. Mr. Parker addressed the Video Club General Meeting on January 16 on his vision for the Village. Click here to see a video of that presentation.
Video One Productions will have a lot to discuss at their monthly meeting, Friday, March 13, at 1 pm in the Video Studio Control Room. Sheila Bialka will be the monthly meeting leader (see below for more about this new role). Email Sheila at Sheilabialka@comline.com for info or to suggest agenda items. VidOne meets on second Tuesdays except in July and August. Visitors — both Village residents and non-residents — interested in learning more about our team-based video production projects are welcome to attend; however, regular VidOne participants must be Video Club members.
MORE (and more) 30-SECOND SPOTS: Video Club President Steve Carman announced at the February 20 Laguna Woods Village Club Presidents Meeting that the Video Club’s Video One Productions stands ready to produce 30-second spots to promote Village clubs and club events. These spots will be aired over Village Television in unfilled commercial time slots on major channels such as Fox News and CBS. “Six or seven” clubs approached him at the end of the meeting, Steve reports. External Video Coordinator John Kelly will be managing these requests.
Tom Nash and Lucy Parker both serve on the Village’s Thrive Task Force and have volunteered to work through Video One Productions to produce several 30-second spots around Thrive’s 2020 theme, “Village of Kindness.” You’ll be hearing more about this effort.
BEYOND THE GATES: Susan Wheeler and Bill Hemberger, left, host this new show. Two segments for the pilot for our new monthly Village TV series, “Beyond the Gates,” were shot on February 20. Produced by Video One Productions, the show visits local places-of-interest. In one segment, host Susan Wheeler takes viewers to the new Open Market, featuring arts and crafts on the second floor of the former Macy’s store at the former Laguna Hills Mall. A second segment was shot at Green Thumb Nursery. Producer Suzanne Savlov was on hand, with Jack Crawbuck operating the single camera “Huell Howser-style.” Tom Nash serves as the show’s Executive Producer; Bill Hemberger will be an alternate host.
More segment producers are needed for “Beyond the Gates.” Original ideas and organizational skills (but no tech skills) are required. If you’d like to get involved in this fun project, contact Suzanne at email@example.com.
BANQUET VIDEO: With the help of Video One Productions, Suzanne Savlov is preparing to produce an hour-long video of the Video Club’s 10th Annual Goldie Awards Banquet held February 1, 2020. Suzanne is shown at left, happy over winning a door prize at the banquet. It will include the eight 4-minute contest entry videos, green-screen interviews with the three winners (with appropriate background/s added), and musical montages of still photos by Andre Torng shot at the banquet.
The video, edited by Suzanne, will appear on Village Television and be posted on the club’s YouTube channel. Suzanne produced similar banquet videos in 2018 and 2019. Her 2018 video is on YouTube (see below). Her 2019 video seems to be “missing in action.”
NOTE: The Video Club sorely needs a manager for our YouTube channel since Chuck Hale stepped down. Any volunteers? If so, please contact President Steve Carman at firstname.lastname@example.org, 424-254-6583.
Click here to see Suzanne’s 2018 Banquet Video.
VIDEO ONE LEADERSHIP: Below is the list of VidOners who have volunteered to lead monthly meetings:
January 10, 2020 – Jill Amadio
February 14, 2020 – Tom Nash
March 13, 2020 – Sheila Bialka
April 10, 2020 — Betsy Martin
May 8, 2020 – Jack Crawbuck
June 12, 2020 – Gila Zalon
No meetings in July and August.
September 11, 2020 – Suzanne Savlov
October 9, 2020 – John Kelly
Tom Nash has offered to maintain VidOne’s roster and email meeting announcements supplied to him by the next month’s meeting leader.
Responsibilities of Video One Productions Monthly Meeting Leaders
1. PREPARE A MEETING NOTICE AND SEND IT TO TOM NASH (email@example.com) FOR DISTRIBUTION BY THE MONDAY BEFORE THE MEETING. TOM WILL SEND IT BY TUESDAY BEFORE THE MEETING.
- Your notice should remind VidOners of the upcoming monthly meeting (second Tuesdays except during July and August, 1 pm, Video Studio). If you have any info about what will happen at the meeting, include it, as that will encourage people to attend..
- Include your name, email, and phone and ask people to send you agenda items (such as anything they would like to discuss or any videos they want to show) by the Thursday before the meeting.
2. PREPARE AN AGENDA FOR THE MEETING. IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANYTHING SPECIFIC, LIST THE CATEGORIES TO COVER. PRINT OUT AT LEAST 12 COPIES AND BRING THEM TO THE MEETING. AN AGENDA KEEPS THE MEETING ON TRACK.
3. ARRIVE 15 MINUTES BEFORE THE MEETING TO MAKE SURE THE ROOM IS IN ORDER. DISTRIBUTE THE AGENDA. RUN THE MEETING WITH AN EYE ON THE CLOCK SO THAT THE MEETING KEEPS MOVING AND EVERYTHING GETS COVERED. IF THE GROUP BOGS DOWN IN DETAILS ON SOME TOPIC, ASK THE PEOPLE MOST CONCERNED TO MEET SEPARATELY AND BRING A REPORT TO THE NEXT MEETING.
4. YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR REFRESHMENTS.